Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Lodge at Eagle Rock

I hadn't planned to spend back-to-back weekends on the Missouri River, but when the invitation was offered by a lodge to check out their digs and fish for for a day, I jumped at the chance.

The Lodge at Eagle Rock, located on the river in the beautiful Mid-Canyon section of the river is officially open for business after an extensive revitalization. The owners have done things right and started with an excellent management team and staff. Jen Newmack, of Great Falls, is the general manager and her energetic attitude will be a great fit. The fishing side of the business is also in good hands, those of her husband, Jason Newmack of 45 Degrees North Outfitters.

Our trip started with Laura and me meeting Jason for a day of fishing at the boat ramp at 8:30AM. After being rigged with nymphing rigs, we were fishing by 9:30. It was a great day to be on the water and it wasn't long before Laura had the first fish of the day, a decent brown, which Jason said was a bit rare for this stretch of the Missouri. That info would be deemed plausible as it would be the only brown of the day. The rainbows were numerous, however. And healthy. Jason had us into numbers of quality fish throughout the day. Fortunately for me, I don't mind being outfished by my female companion. And I was. I did make sure Laura knew that she had a very significant advantage by being in front of the boat.

We wrapped up our day on the water, anticipating our evening at the lodge. After a quick tour, we kicked back and enjoyed appetizers which were the creation of chef Geoff Langell. That was later followed by a wonderful four course meal, accompanied by great conversation, and a few fish stories. Laura would later comment that I was in my element, as we were enjoying some hockey on television, mixed in with some ping pong and shuffleboard, after a great meal and a great day of fishing. She was right. Thanks a million, Jen, Jason, Geoff and The Lodge at Eagle Rock! - Jay

2 comments:

  1. What were you getting 'em on, Jay? Or should I ask Laura?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't you read the blog? Nymphs.

    ReplyDelete