Saturday, September 13, 2008

Summer or Fall?


This is definitely still the transition time between seasons in our outdoor pursuits. I left town with the A/C cranked up in the vehicle, headed for the hills as it was pushing 80 degrees and too hot for my liking on the prairie. I had heard of some remarkable hatches of late on the local spring creek and considered going fishing instead of chasing birds. Thinking of the dogs, I chose the latter. And by the time I loaded up the dogs and headed for home, I had the heater running to take the chill off. When the sun goes down in the mountains, it cools off pretty quickly.
This was a combination mountain grouse hunt and elk scouting trip, however, it is a lot to ask to see any elk (or hear the occasional love sick bull scream) while shouting commands at the dogs and firing the occasional volley at a flushing bird. We moved both blues and ruffed grouse in the afternoon hunt, so I can't complain too much. Fishing might just have to wait until next spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment